We believe that society and the economy thrives when every person is given the opportunity to contribute and to fulfil their potential.
But 9 million adults in the UK are functionally illiterate, which makes it harder for them to fulfil their potential and costs the UK economy £2.5 million per year.
Whilst every prison has a statutory library, one in eight primary schools has no library space at all.
When we surveyed 100 Primary Schools, 80% of them had no budget for books. The school librarians and well stocked book collections of our school days? Gone…
BUT we are working to change this and you can help us and your local community by joining our Business Membership Scheme.
Primary Schools are desperate for books...
Last year we donated 10,000 inclusive books to schools through our Crowdfunder with Rochelle Humes. We were inundated with requests from schools who wanted to be part of the project.
“For many of our children our badly stocked school library is the only place that the children can access books. For some of our children they do not even own a book.”
Jane, Headteacher from Worcestershire.
“Embracing diversity is a big focus for us at the moment and we are making really good steps to embed it throughout the curriculum and the ethos of the school. But, as with many schools I’m sure, we just don’t have the budget to buy new books…”
Katherine, Assistant Head, Norfolk.
Your business can transform your local community and economy
Through our business membership you will be bolstering the literacy capacity of your local primary school, future-proofing the workforce and improving the local economy . In just a few clicks, you’ll be donating books and crucial resources to primary schools in your local area…You’ll be bringing transformation and hope to your community, instilling a sense of pride, importance and purpose in your team.
For your yearly subscription:
- 100 inclusive and representative books are donated to the primary school of your choice.
- Your school receives a package of lesson plans and assembly ideas.
- You receive a toolkit of communications materials to help you easily communicate about this community changing work
- You receive Monthly updates about the Change the Story project and the work of Little Box of Books
- You receive quarterly updates from your school
- You receive the Little Box of Books Literacy badge for your website and external communications (see example below).
- You receive one 2 books per month, six month subscription to Little Box of Books
- For a full list of FAQs head here…or email [email protected]
- Click the button below, fill in the details of the school you would like to support, or leave it blank if you want us to choose.
- You will receive a welcome email by return email.
- We will then be in touch within 10 days (longer in school holidays!) with a communications toolkit, including your Literacy Supporter badge (see example below), for you to share on your website and social media… to help you talk to any staff you have, press, local community about your involvement in the project.
- We will communicate with the school, let them know about your donation and link you up. You will then receive monthly updates about the project, with regular updates from the school you are supporting.